Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ven Conmigo pt 3

Still, though, the gap between me and my destination felt so vast. It also felt like the sun was setting on this opportunity. Time was running out to make this work. For a long time, there was no empirical evidence to suggest that I was about to go on a six month mission trip. I wasn't even in the program yet. I had no money saved up. I had no plane ticket. I was doing poorly in my two classes. I felt silly when answering the question "what are up to these days?" or "what's next for you?" because I had a response with nothing to support it.

When I had finally realized that the clock was ticking, and April was approaching, I mailed in my application and waited for three weeks to find out that it hadn't made it yet to Costa Rica. Not only that, but my references were given the wrong email address! Needless to say, I was quite distraught at this news. I ended up going back to my doctor for another stamp of approval, got the right email address and I sent a digital copy of the application and references to Costa Rica. So I impatiently waited a little longer. In my restlessness, the Lord gave me this verse:
I will go before you
and will level the mountains;
I will break down gates of bronze
and cut through bars of iron.
I will give you hidden treasures,
riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the LORD,
the God of Israel, who summons you by name.
Isaiah 45:2-3
I tried so hard to hold on to this, but it was so difficult to do that when everything around me was saying the opposite.

Steven and I went on a road trip to Southern California the last weekend of February to visit some friends. We ended up going to the Pasadena International House of Prayer, where they were holding this event called The Well allowed one to sign up to hear a prophetic word. In my time of uncertainty, I obviously thought it may be helpful to hear from the Lord, so I signed up.

The first thing the prayer team said was that I was going on a journey very soon. Somewhere else, somewhere new. They said God was pleased that I chose this path, and that He was going to be with me every step of the way and it was going to be amazing. They said I've been confused lately and not sure where I was going, but they said I would receive clarity very soon. After that, one of them got an image in their mind of the Lord leading me to a safe hidden in a wall. He was spinning the combination to open it, so he could bless me with "the things I need, that I've been waiting for." I couldn't help but smile as these strangers told me the Lord's promises for my life.

The following Wednesday, I checked my email on someone's iPhone during a youth group leaders meeting. I know, I know; I probably should have been paying attention to Carlos, but I just felt compelled to check it. Victor Hernandez jokingly - or perhaps prophetically - said that I was about to be accepted into YWAM. I scrolled through numerous Facebook notifications, Freecycle adds and emails from work to stumble across my acceptance letter to YWAM. I promptly announced the good news and was met with a round of high fives and hugs. I was in!

Today, I'm sitting in the community center lobby about to study for my finals this Friday. I leave in two weeks on a red-eye flight to Costa Rica, with a layover in Texas. I can't believe it. God has been so faithful, and He's completely coming through on His promises. I know that when Jesus says "come with me" I can trust that He will truly be "with me". He is so good.

I'd like you, my friends and family, to come with me on my journey that the Lord has set out for me. Keep reading these, because there will be a lot more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment